Route: Portna to Castlerock
Total Distance: 21.36 Miles
The final day of the 2011 trip and an epic push from Portna to Castlerock. The blue skies had disappeared and there was a cheeky wee head wind blowing in from the North. The 0600 alarm call didn’t affect team morale at all and we were soon passing through Kilrea and swiftly making our way towards Movanagher Lock.
We thought that we may have to portage at Movanagher fish farm and Carnroe but the lock keeper was on hand to get us through both locks in no time at all.
Drumagheglis caravan park made a welcome stop on our way towards Coleraine from Carnroe. Elenour and Billy were there as always with tea, coffee and much needed treats.
The water level at the Cutts in Coleraine was too low to risk a descent through the rapids, so we decided on the safe option and went through the lock. After a quick press shot at Christie Park we made our way towards Castlerock.
We finished at the Bar Mouth Road just outside Castlerock at approximately 1700.
Once we packed up the gear and got the boats tied on to the trailers we had our traditional paddle presentation for all paddlers and the support crew.
The 3 day canoe expedition was over for another year but the memories and new found friendships will last forever. Eye Feel Good are very proud of everybody who took part in the trip and we hope to have everybody back again next year.
We would like to say special thanks to the following people for their help and support:
- Mobile Team Adventure
- Lyle Creighton @ 1st Antrim Youth Club
- Stephen Douglas @ Waterways Ireland
- Seamus Connell (Eye Feel Good Road Crew)
- David Kennedy and Billy Fee (Eye Feel Good Roadies)
- Martin Kidd, Brian Wallace and Antrim Boat Club (Lough Neagh Support)
- Lesley Griffin (Storage of trailers at a secret location)
- Archie @ Bar Mouth for charging John’s batteries
- Antrim Guardian
- Antrim Times
- Coleraine Chronicle
- UTV – Jonny Hero, Julian Simmons and Frank Mitchell
- William Rae (Our Ceremonial Paddle Maker)